Chris Hansen's Roblox Account Was Banned Live Onstage During a Child Safety Demonstration at CrimeCon

Chris Hansen's Roblox account was banned in the middle of a live demonstration meant to show how easily strangers can approach users on the platform.

What Happened Onstage

The demonstration took place during Hansen's Roblox investigation panel at CrimeCon in Las Vegas on May 29, alongside YouTuber Schlep, whose sting-style videos have targeted alleged predators using the platform. Schlep couldn't run the account himself since Roblox permanently banned him and issued a cease-and-desist against him in August 2025, so he handed control to Hansen and pointed him toward a random chat experience called Ro-Meet.

After cycling through a few users, Hansen was approached by someone who asked if he had Snapchat. When he questioned why they wanted to move the conversation off the platform, the response was that they were bored. A few minutes later, Hansen was disconnected from the experience entirely, and refreshing the Roblox homepage showed the demonstration account had been banned for repeated or serious rule breaking, with the notice citing a Terms of Use violation tied to inappropriate content and behavior.

Claims Without Much to Back Them Up Yet

Onstage, Schlep quickly suggested a Roblox employee must have been watching the panel, though neither he nor Hansen offered evidence tying the ban directly to their appearance. Schlep revisited the incident again in an August 15 video, where he said he'd spent ten minutes in the same Ro-Meet experience just hours before the panel using a separate account that received no moderation action at all.

He also claimed the version of Ro-Meet used onstage was a re-upload of an earlier one Roblox had already removed, alleging the original had racked up millions of visits and thousands of daily users before any action was taken. According to Schlep, Roblox pulled the game Hansen had entered about an hour after the panel ended, only for what he described as an identical version to reappear by that same night. He also said the account that had approached Hansen about Snapchat stayed active for several more days.

Schlep used the video to push back on an earlier suggestion from Roblox that he'd delayed reporting violating experiences so he could use them in his own videos, claiming he'd been reporting similar random-chat games, including to people connected to the platform's safety council, for well over a year, starting before his cease-and-desist. Roblox hasn't publicly explained why Hansen's account was moderated.

Where This Fits Into a Bigger Investigation

Roblox has said in the past that Schlep's investigations violated its policies and risked interfering with its own safety procedures, which is what led to his ban and cease-and-desist last year. The platform has since rolled out new protections, including mandatory facial age checks for chat, but scrutiny hasn't let up. Two days before this footage started circulating, the US Senate opened its own investigation into child safety on Roblox, ordering the company to preserve records tied to abuse, exploitation, and bullying on the platform.

The reaction since the clip spread has leaned skeptical. A lot of it centers on why concerns like this are only getting this level of attention now, regardless of whether the ban itself turns out to have been intentional. Roblox still hasn't said what actually triggered the moderation, and with a Senate investigation already underway, that explanation may end up coming from somewhere other than the company itself.

Harper

Staff Writer for NeonLightsMedia and the team's resident tilt-proof gamer. Harper’s rotation constantly bounces between Stardew Valley and sweaty lobbies in Overwatch or Marvel Rivals, proving you can bring a cozy mindset to almost any game.

Previous
Previous

Marvel Tōkon Leak Points to Rocket Raccoon as a DLC Character, Plus Classic Costumes for Four Heroes

Next
Next

Cancelled Xbox Game Contraband Found Hidden Inside a Fishing Game